Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ode to The Sandpiper


Growing up I was surrounded by lots of fresh seafood. My grandfather had a fishing boat named The Sandpiper and he would spend much of the summer catching flounder and pulling up treasure in lobster pots. I even remember waking up in the darkness to go crabbing before the break of dawn. Other times we went digging for clams at our local beach. I have fond memories of the adults looking silly wearing plastic lobster bibs. Little white tubs of butter, shell crackers, and tea lights were scattered all over the picnic table. Oh, and probably a few beers!

In the winter my grandfather would load us grand kids into his van and drive us all to the Florida Keys from Massachusetts (boat in tow). There my family would set out on the seas once again catching Dolphin (but not the Flipper kind). Throughout all of those years the only piece of seafood that ever touched my lips was a good old tuna fish sandwich.

Shocking, I know.

I look back on those days at that little girl eating her canned tuna amid all of the fresh seafood and shake my head. What's wrong with that girl? Nowadays I love, love, love seafood. Salmon and lobster, mussels and scallops, tilapia, calamari, give me shrimp galore! I may have missed out as a stubborn and finicky child but I assure you, I am making up for lost time.

Breakfast- Organic SCD yogurt with bananas and honey
Lunch- Almonds (I know, I know)
Dinner- Cod poached in a reduction of tomato and chicken broth with a dash of red pepper, chopped garlic, and caramelized onions. (I would do my grandfather proud)

PICTURE- Dinner

No comments: