Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Buffet Challenge


With the holidays approaching my hubby and I are seeing more and more of our family and friends and the non-SCD food that accompanies them. Now this does not bother me as much as it does said family and friends. I can see the look of anguish when they find out that I cannot eat the cherry squares, or the chocolate chip cookies, or the taco salad with Doritos, and no, not the Bailey's Irish Cream or the light beer either. The tension slowly begins to spread across their foreheads as they scan the buffet table calculating how many legal calories I will be able to consume. For people who are not on the SCD, and maybe those who are new to it, the focus is most always on what cannot be eaten. For those of us who follow the SCD we are much more prone to target what can be enjoyed. It goes something like this:

Friend/Family (scanning the spread at last night's party)- On no, she cannot have the chips and salsa, the fried rice, the Chinese food appetizers or the apple crisp. She will starve to death at this Christmas party!

Me (scanning the spread at last night's party)- Yum, look at that vegetable platter full of carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and red peppers. And let me make sure I take some of this Brie, and Gouda, and Cheddar and put it on an apple. Yippee! My mom made the broccoli salad that is both SCD legal and delicious. I'll also eat a healthy portion of the Mexican Meatballs that I made in the slow cooker. Finally for dessert I can dig into that fresh fruit platter of pineapple, blueberries, grapes and strawberries. Should I try this lovely Chianti or this nice dry Chardonnay? I had better get myself to the gym tomorrow.
See the difference here?

After about 15 months on the SCD I am really beginning to be convinced that it is more difficult for friends and family to accept than for the actual SCDer. I have to admit that before I knew what Crohn's and SCD were my heart would have gone out to any poor soul who couldn't enjoy a chocolate chip cookie now and then. But after understanding the alternatives to this diet for someone with gastrointestial issues, it really is a no-brainer.

Brunch- Organic SCD yogurt with blueberries and honey, almonds, an apple with peanut butter, and a banana
Dinner- All of the great SCD legal foods from last night

PICTURE- Roasted salmon with garlic and lemon and a side of fresh steamed string beans

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful post which I will send to my family... who has been very patient with my SCD lifestyle. This really explains how very simply and deliciously an SCDer can eat at a holiday occasion.