Sunday, October 21, 2007

Waking Up In The City That Never Sleeps


I am back from New York where I spent lots of time 1. walking 2. eating 3. being entertained and very little time 4. sleeping.

The trip was a great success. We hit an absurd amount of traffic on the way down Friday night but after that initial hiccup it was all smooth sailing. I drove down with my husband and my father-in-law. When we arrived (I think it was about 8:30pm or so) we met up with the other half of the group including my mother-in-law, uncle Bob and our friend Chris. It was already really late so we just had dinner and a few drinks at the hotel bar. I enjoyed a juicy burger with cheddar cheese, lettuce, onion and tomato (no bun of course) along with a house salad with blue cheese, oil, and red wine vinegar.

Saturday morning we all met for breakfast at this fabulous restaurant called Roy's (I think it is a chain). If any of you SCDers go to Manhattan I suggest you eat here for breakfast. They had fresh squeezed orange juice, omelets made to order (I had spinach and mushroom with cheddar), fresh cheese including Havarti, cheddar and Swiss, hard boiled eggs, and an amazing amount of fresh fruit including blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, and melons. I was stuffed by 9:00am and we all agreed that we would probably skip lunch and have an early dinner.

After breakfast we went shopping on Canal St. which is definitely an interesting experience. Then we went to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) where I saw Van Gogh's starry night, paintings by Monet, and many others. After a little more shopping and walking we went back to the hotel room and snacked on my Parmesan garlic crackers with cheddar cheese, pistachios, and almonds (OK, we had a little red wine too).

Then it was off to dinner at Brazil, Brazil, Restaurant where I had a delicious meal of Talapia grilled with olive oil, salt and pepper along with oven roasted garlic and fresh vegetables. YUMMM. We finished the night on Broadway with 10th row seats at Mamma Mia which has now inspired me to start listening to ABBA. This was a birthday present from Bob and Chris (thanks guys!)

This morning we woke up at the crack of dawn and set off for home. I ate my SCD yogurt with honey in the car (I brought it down and kept it in a small fridge in the hotel). Now I am settled in back at home, making a batch of yogurt for the week and getting ready to roast a chicken with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Along with that we will have butternut squash and grilled asparagus. I will also make up some of Amy's delicious pumpkin muffins (Note: I make them with puree from pumpkins that I bake. This ensures they are SCD legal).

Though NY was fantastic, it is always good to be home.

Breakfast- SCD yogurt with honey while on the road
Lunch- Tuna fish with garlic and Parmesan crackers and strawberries with dipping "cream" (SCD yogurt, vanilla extract and honey)
Dinner- Looking forward to roasted rosemary chicken

PICTURE- Yesterday's Fruit Buffet at Roy's

No comments: