Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Kicking a Cold


Well I started to feel a little off this weekend and by Sunday I had a full force head cold. I searched high and low for SCD legal cold remedies and did not find much. Finally I bought a vaporizer and made the Flu Fighter from the new SCD cookbook called Healing Foods and I am happy to report that they seem to have done the trick! The concoction was by no means tasty but the warm liquid along with the spices really seemed to clear things out and must have boosted my immune system.

The vaporizer was great as well. It was by Vicks and had a little container where you put a special liquid called Kaz Inhalant which is basically lots of soothing oils. Between the warm steam and the menthol-like vapors I had a surprisingly peaceful two nights sleeping as a mouth-breather.

I didn't miss any days of work (though I left an hour early on Monday) and lots of other people in my office took full sick days. I credit my quick recovery to the SCD as well. Sunday morning I made a big batch of chicken soup and added scallions, kale, carrots, and parsley. Chicken soup is a well known and effective weapon against the common cold.

Also, on Sunday I ate lots of blueberries and salmon which I think gave me an edge.

One thing that I noticed is that I didn't have a lot of SCD legal solutions to turn to. If any of you know of other possible remedies please email me offline and I will collect your feedback and share with the group.

Happy Healing

Breakfast- Organic SCD yogurt with strawberries and honey
Lunch- Leftovers from last night (yummy chicken stuffed with sage, Fontina, and prosciutto along with steamed asparagus)
Dinner- Roasted chicken with salt, pepper, lavender, and rosemary along with butternut squash
Snacked on pistachios throughout the day

PICTURE- The Flu Fighter from Healing Foods

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

Is the Flu Fighter a tea, or broth? Are you a tea drinker? Yogi has some great Healing Formulas, like Breathe Deep and Cold Season. I haven't checked the ingredients on these particular blends, but I did get this email re: "natural flavors." Missy from Food-fan.net recommended "Strong ginseng tea with a tablespoon of active Manuka honey and a piece of fresh ginger" when I was feeling under the weather (mainly sore throat) last winter. Hope you are feeling better :)

The Adventure Begins.... said...

It is actually a tea. It really helped me to start feeling better but then things began to move into my chest. I went and had an hour of accupuncture and that did the trick. I was 100% the next day.

Jasmine said...

Quick healer! Lucky girl :)