Sunday, October 28, 2007

Apple Sauce Controversy


So for those of you who check out the SCD listservs you may have noticed some debate this weekend about my use of the Santa Cruz organic apple sauce. I originally bought the individual packets for my nieces who visit me quite often. However, after reading the ingredients (apples and vitamin C) I decided to enjoy one with my pork chops. I want to be honest about what I eat even when that means 1. I don't eat 2. I eat things that are not technically SCD legal, or 3. I am a glutton! I feel that it is important to post these things so that you can see that I am not perfect. However, you will notice that sometimes I pay dearly like a few weeks ago when I went away to California and came back sick for about a week. My advice for everyone is certainly to stay 100% SCD legal and make your own apple sauce. In my experience it just tastes better than the pre-made stuff too. However, at times when I decide to take a risk on things that are not technically 100% SCD legal I will let you know and for you newbies, do as I say and not as I do. This BLOG is not meant to be an official newbie support group or advice column. It is just a way to share one gal's experiences while trying to stick as closely to the SCD as possible while working about 50 hours a week and commuting 10.

So what else did I do this weekend besides sort through this applesauce issue? Let's see. On Saturday morning I spent time with my two nieces ages 9 and 20 months. We played games and went to borders and bought some books. Last night my husband and I went to see two plays that were back to back. The first one was Sorry, Wrong Number, and the second was Clue. They were put on by our local theatre company who did a wonderful job. Both were very Halloween appropriate.

Before the show we ate at a local restaurant. I had the surf and turf (steak with shrimp and broccoli). I asked the waiter to hold all seasoning on the steak (sometimes they add sugar) and to only put butter, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper on the shrimp. The meal was delicious.

The bad news is that sometime between my nieces leaving and going out to dinner, I have come down with a cold. As such I am going to take it easy for the rest of the day. Make some chicken soup, and drink lots of dilutes juices like apple cider and grape juice.

Hopefully the SCD will be able to kick my cold too!

PICTURE- Amy's Pumpkin Muffins
Update- On November 10th I received a hard copy letter, on company letterhead, signed by a Customer Response Rep that verified these ingredients and stated that if anything were added, even under 2%, it would be included on the label. Good news but I still think that homemade is better.

No comments: