Thursday, September 20, 2007

Yes! We Have No Bananas

Growing up I didn't really care for bananas but I remember that my little sister did. When my mom asked me what I wanted for a snack I seem to remember choosing a pickle most of the time. Now, in my adult life, pickles are just OK. Something that I enjoy with a burger, in tuna or on a taco. Maybe I burnt out on them early in life. But BANANAS, well they are a whole different story. I love bananas.
Bananas in the raw, bananas with peanut butter smeared on them, banana ice cream, banana smoothies, bananas in yogurt, banana cake, muffins, and bread. These are all in my SCD favorites collection. But the thing about bananas the SCD way is that even when you have bananas, you might really not have them at all.
What's that you say? Well, when following the SCD bananas must be overly ripe in order to be Legal. That means they must be sporting brown spots. Some people may refer to them as "rotten'." It is not uncommon for my mom to say "Hi honey, I saved you some nice rotten bananas." But luckily for me the aged banana (I prefer this term) is even more palatable than its green or even bright yellow buddies.
I have two bananas sitting on my counter right now just begging to be made into a nice banana cake.
Breakfast - Cinnamon muffin and tea
Lunch- Leftover grilled pork chop with broccoli
Dinner- Spinach and tomato omelet
Snacks (throughout the day)- SCD yogurt with bananas, beet chips, Jennies Coconut Macaroons*
* These are not officially SCD legal. They claim they are approved by the Makers Diet and contain only coconut (unsweetened), honey, and egg whites. I am in the process of requesting a letter from them to verify this.
PICTURE- Non-SCD Legal bananas (but they are working on it)

No comments: