Thursday, September 27, 2007

Won't You Be My Neighbor


When I was a kid I wasn't a big fan of Mr. Rogers. HE seemed nice enough but Lady Elaine scared the crap out of me. I was heavy into Sesame Street though and as they were on back to back, I often found myself resigned to an episode or two. The one thing about Mr. Rogers that always fascinated me was that he knew all of his neighbors. Now that I am an adult this makes perfect sense seeing how it was called Mr. Roger's Neighborhood but back then when I thought that the Neighborhood of Make-Believe was real, I somehow couldn't wrap my little brain around the fact that one can actually be friends with their neighbors. Perhaps this is because I lived sandwiched between a pizza place and a rental property.

Flash forward 27 years or so and I still spend lots of time reading fiction, watching movies, and going to theatre and lots less time getting to know my neighbors. As a matter of fact, I connect with cyberspace almost every night via this blog, my trips to other websites, and SCD related listserves. I certainly feel like I know these "characters" a lot better than the people around my block.

Well a few months ago my husband bumped into one of our neighbors who was having some people over. My husband overheard them talking about their lack of chairs and being the thoughtful guy he is, he brought over some of ours for them to borrow.

This gesture seemed very appreciated by said neighbors and sparked a letter of thanks from them soon after. The letter also came with an invitation to call them so that we can get to know each other better. Well, I am sorry to say that months went by before this happened. As a matter of fact, we never actually called them. I ran into "the husband" on my way to work and we made casual plans to get together that night for a drink.

So that night we all went out to at a nice establishment within walking distance of our homes. We hit it off right away. I could not believe how much we had in common. We were finishing each other's sentences by the end of the night. I thought this is great! We have new friends who are so hip and they live a broom's length away from our house! We couldn't believe that we had only just met. After all, my husband and I had been at this house for over three years and they had been there for five. Why on earth did it take me so long to meet my neighbors?

"So what?" you might say. "Now you've met and you'll be great friends."
Hopefully that is true but we met them two weeks ago and they are moving tomorrow. Well, closing on a new house tomorrow and moving on Saturday. Not too, too, far away but three towns over which seems like the other side of the world.

Go meet your neighbors people.

Breakfast- Organic SCD yogurt with strawberries and honey
Lunch- meatballs in basil tomato marinara
Dinner- Cod in a sweet and sour medley of red and orange peppers, sweet onions, and pineapple along with an avocado and tomato salad with oil, vinegar, and lemon juice

1 comment:

NuttyMeatfruit said...

This post leaves me with goosebumps and a smile. Thanks for linking to Nutty Meatfruit! Hope you continue to do well with SCD :)