Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Scd Legal or SCD Illegal? That is the Question.


Shakespeare may have pondered over things like life and death but for us SCDers the whole Legal and Illegal foods question is just as complicated... especially when dining out. I received a request to share my Can Eat/Can't Eat restaurant card as a result of one of my earlier posts. The card is actually from http://www.scdiet.org/ under the SCD Quick Reference Food List. I almost ALWAYS hand it over to the waiter/waitress whenever I first sit down at a table. I give them a chance to digest the information (pun intended) and then we have our little side bar.

One of the most unpleasant aspects for me on the SCD is this conversation with the wait staff. You see, I waited tables for many years and so I am extremely aware of how busy these people are. I also know that when a waitress approaches a chef with a request to accommodate certain restrictions e.g. vegetarian, vegan, SCDian, etc., the wait staff almost always bears the brunt of the chef's frustration.

Because of such institutional knowledge I usually just request plain meat/chicken/seafood/vegetables, etc. However, if I am in a mood where I feel entitled, and when I see something on a menu that I think looks great and will be SCD Legal with just a few minor tweaks, I sometimes go all out and break it down with the poor server.

This doesn't aways work out smoothly...remember my issue last weekend when I initially received pasta with my seafood. But sometimes it does and most mistakes can eventually be rectified.

Breakfast- Organic SCD yogurt with strawberries and honey
Lunch- Turkey meatballs slow cooked in tomato sauce with fresh basil
Dinner- Natural pork tenderloin with spinach and green beans with almonds and white wine reduction
Snack- Banana bread and Peanut Granola Bar from SCD Bakery

1 comment:

Amy McKenna said...

Jill, how do you prepare your pork tenderloin? That photo makes me hungry!