Thursday, September 13, 2007

KETCHUP!




Pre-SCD I was a ketchup junkie. Ketchup on the usual burgers and dogs, ketchup on eggs, Shepherd's pie and even (gulp- I cannot believe I am admitting this) on spaghetti. Yes, it is true. My grandmother's family did not have a lot of money growing up and so they could not afford marinara sauce. Instead they put butter and ketchup on their spaghetti. This became one of her favorite treats and it was mine as well. With SCD those days are long gone for me but for the past year I have been craving good ketchup on my legal food. I have tried several recipes and none have cut it. Not even close. Until.... Saron J, one of my favorite contributors to the SCD_creators listserv posted this amazing ketchup recipe. I simmered it on my stove (on very low heat) for about 2 and 1/2 hours and whala...poof....amazing ketchup that tastes much better than store bought. I made a big batch and froze half of it.

So with the permission of Sharon J (thank you!), here is her recipe:

2 Cans of Tomato Juice (46 oz each)
2 Cups Vinegar
2 tsp. onion powder (homemade)
8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. all spice
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. garlic powder
5 Tlb. honey

Method: Pour Tomato juice in large pot and add the rest. Simmer for several hours, stirring occasionally (a splatter screen is useful here, because it will splatter quite a bit towards the end). It is done when it has the ketchup consistency you desire.

Yesterday:

Breakfast - Organic yogurt with bananas and honey (what can I say? I bought a lot of bananas)
Lunch- Leftover pork ribs and roasted butternut squash
Dinner- Organic grass-fed beef with spinach
Dessert- Banana muffin from the SCD Bakery

2 comments:

Meg said...

Your blog is making such an incredible difference for me. I'm just starting out on SCD, and everyday I come here to look forward to how I will eventually be able to eat, cook and feel. Thank you! Please keep it up. Also, can you let me about any recipes that you used in your first month or so on the diet.

The Adventure Begins.... said...

Hi Meg- I am so glad to here that. In the first month I had just come home from surgery (a resection for Crohn's) so I went pretty easy on foods. What works best during those early stages are just some baby steps from the intro diet. It is important to slowly introduce foods during this time. Some get carried away and that is when the trouble starts. For me things like beef stew (Grainfree Gourmet) and Baked Salmon (Lucy's Kitchen) were good beginning "full dinners." Otherwise I ate a lot of broiled meats and veggies cooked very well. Feel free to email me off-line any time.