Monday, September 10, 2007

Ice Box Special


It is always nice to have a tasty meal that is also quick and easy like the spinach omelet that I had for dinner last night. The only down side when you are a working gal on the SCD is lunch the next day. That’s why the good old Ice Box is my new best friend. The freezer, frigidarium, frozen-food locker, cold store, or whatever you want to call it, has been around for a long time now but it was not until I started the SCD that I really began to appreciate mine.

Pick a Sunday, any Sunday, where you just don’t have a lot going on (I know these are few and far between). Gather together your favorite freezable recipes and make a day of it. Some of my favorites are Beef Stew, Chunky Meat Sauce, Chicken “Noodle” Soup, Meatballs in Marinara, Vegetable Soup, Italian Pot Roast, and Provencal Chicken Stew. These home-cooked meals are much more satisfying than any TV dinner style lunch. I just select one of the entrees from my freezer, pop it in the fridge overnight, and then bring it to work in my lunch bag. If it is still a bit frozen the next day I defrost it in the microwave for a few minutes and then I have a steamy, home-cooked meal for lunch while my co-workers scrounge around the conference rooms for leftovers or, even worse, eat out of the vending machines.

Breakfast- Organic SCD yogurt with bananas & honey
Lunch- Chicken “noodle” soup, banana muffin from SCD Bakery
Dinner- Grilled chicken with paprika, roasted carrots & brussel sprouts with olive oil, avocado/tomato salad with oil & vinegar
Dessert- The last of my banana and date ice cream

No comments: