Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Next Spice Girl


I started the SCD about a year and 1/2 ago (I count the 30 days that I was fed intravenously as the LONGEST intro diet ever). Ever since I have truly become a spice girl. I cannot believe how many different spices I use. Here is a list of some of the more popular spices in my house along with a little factoid about their health benefits.*

Cloves - Contain the anti-inflammatory component eugenol as well as magnesium, calcium, and even omega-3 fatty acids.

Ginger - Considered a carminative, or a substance that promotes the elimination of gas and soothes the intestines.

Cinnamon - Anti-clotting, anti-microbial, blood sugar controling, brain boosting powerhouse.

Rosemary - Contains substances that stimulate the immune system and the stems are great to use as shrimp skewers.

Thyme - Anti-oxident, anti-microbial, and yummy in a chicken stew.

Basil - DNA protection, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. No marinara sauce can be without it.

Cayenne - Potent inhibitor of inflammation.

Cumin - Iron for enery and immune function, digestive benefits, cancer prevention and my favorite spice. Great with SCD chicken fajitas wrapped in bib lettuce and topped with sauteed peppers and onions and a big dollop of SCD yogurt.


* All health information is from The World's Healthiest Foods website http://www.whfoods.org/. I love this website.

No comments: