Thursday, September 6, 2007

Morning Bird


It certainly felt more like autumn today. My husband bought me these lovely roses for my birthday but it is almost time for the Mums.
Well today I was back on the road. I woke up early in the morning and made my lunch for the next few days which was DELICIOUS. It was a nice chicken cutlet with sage, prosciutto & Gruyere simmered in a tomato and chicken broth reduction.

When I eat out at night it is always a treat but I am hard pressed for lunch the next day. It felt strange cooking this meal so early in the morning but it really wasn't that much work and now I am quite happy that I have lunches through the end of the week.

Here is the basic recipe (I made it up as I went)

3 Chicken cutlets (it is important that they are pounded out. I bought mine like that)
9 Sage leaves
Gruyere cheese
3 Slices of prosciutto
2 Cups of crushed tomatoes
1/2 Cup of chicken broth
Salt/Pepper


Method:

-Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper (on both sides)
-Place one slice of prosciutto on each piece of chicken
-Layer Gruyere cheese on top of proscuitto
-Finish with three sage leaves on top of the Gruyere
-Roll the chicken breast and secure with tooth picks (I used about 4 per chicken breast)
Next
-Heat olive oil in a pan (on medium/high heat)
-Once the pan is hot add the chicken

-Cook the chicken about 5-6 minutes on each side
-DO NOT move the chicken until the 5-6 minutes is up. This will help it to brown
Next
-Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside
-Add the chicken broth and simmer for about 2 minutes while scrapping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan
-Add the crushed tomatoes and continue to simmer for two minutes
-Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer until cooked through



Breakfast - Organic strawberries with yogurt and honey


Lunch- Chicken with prosciutto, gruyere and sage (side of spinach)


Dinner - Grilled Swordfish with veggies in olive oil and garlic with spinach (out to eat for dinner meeting)

No comments: