Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chicken Soup Snore to Chicken Soup Star!

Last weekend I came down with a cold. My husband had it the week before so it was no surprise when I woke up Saturday night with a depressingly sore throat. I remembered all of those studies that say chicken soup helps you get over the common cold faster. I will admit that I am not a huge chicken soup fan. When I think about it all I get are images of sick kids and bland crackers.

That being said, I was determined to get over this thing asap because of a busy work week ahead. So I purchased a chicken and made up some basic broth simmering it for about 3 hours. Once that was complete I started on the soup by adding back the chicken, some carrots, celery, onion, a bay leaf, oregano, and parsley. Starring at the pot I knew that it was your every day chicken soup...Yawn.

So in a moment of inspiration (and desperation for a more exciting dinner) I added lots of chopped tomatoes, spinach, and a rind of Parmesan cheese.

Well folks, let me just say that THESE little additions did the trick. The rind of cheese (which you should remove before using or you run the risk of your husband biting into it and looking horrified) added a perfect background of Parmesan flavor. The spinach and the tomatoes brightened things up a bit and added more antioxidant power.

At the very end as I was serving this chicken soup extraordinaire, I added a biscuit from the new Grainfree Gourmet Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner cook book.

We had chicken and biscuit soup. It was great stuff and the perfect medicine for my cold.

1 comment:

Amy McKenna said...

Thanks for the tips. Your soup sounds delish! I hope your cold is better real soon.